The Coopers of the Beamish & Crawford brewery around the early twentieth century which includes my grandfather (second from the right, fron row)Know as ‘The Bowler Hat Men’ they would arrive for work dressed in suits that would be carefully stored away before they began their day’s labour.
The Counting House, Christmas Day 2008
Nitrogen and Co2 Tanks decked out in the liverey of the brewery’s products. Steam was used to keep the gas lines from freezing up
A delivery of gas on a cold morning.
Huppmann pre-run vessel and Kettle - Brewhouse; After lauthering the wort was transferred to the pre-run tank before been transferred to the kettle where hops would be added for flavour and aroma.
Steam rising from a chimney on the Brewhouse Roof
Whirlpool - Fermentation Department; After finishing in the brewing department the wort is then transferred to a whirlpool in the Fermentation department where more solids are separated out.
Top of the Fermentation Tanks, each tank holds approx 24,000 gallons of beer
Walkways Fermentation Department; Steam rising through the gangway of the fermentation tanks.Also included is the side of the Counting House and the South Main Street.
Pressure Release Valve - Fermentation Tank; During the Fermentation process Co2 gas is naturally produced. In order to prevent accidents pressure safety release valves arefitted on all fermentation tanks. This style of valve contains at hin plastic sheet. Should pressure build over a specified setting a knife will automatically cut the plastic sheet to release the excess pressure.
A view of Saint Fin Barre's Cathedral from the top of the Tanker Bay Tanks.
Elysian Tower; The tallest building in Ireland towers over the city, in the foreground is the Holy Trinity church and the river Lee.
A view over the South side of the city towards St Michaels church. In the foreground are the storage and fermenting tanks.
Back Stairs, Counting House; The Counting House is where most of the companies administration took place. The old logo of a tower and a shamrock is carved into the banister and its usage can be traced backto at least 1884
Landing- Counting House; The old company logo carved into the banisteris exactly as what is at the end of the stairs.The steel staircase leads up to offices and tothe brew house.
Skylight-Roof; A view over the North side of the city thatincludes the Cathedral and Shandon Steeple
Copper No 1
Old Laboratory, Mashing Loft
Pressure Clocks - Old Brew house
Mill No.1; This is one of three mills that Beamish used before the new brewhouse was commissioned. Built by the well-known brewers’ engineering firm of Henry Stopes & Co. of Southwark St. London in1880,. Stopes also built kilns and malt houses to their own unique design.
Mill No. 3
Old Mill No.2; Detail of Mill no.3 that was Built by H. Stopps and Son of London in 1880
A section of the old mill
Broken Hammer lies disgarded in the old mashing loft
Rear of Counting House Clock
Overalls hang in the engineering Locker room.
The Last Cooper - Dave Creedon 1919 - 2007